J&K Khadi & Village Industries Board is a Statutory Board established under Act No: XVI of 1965 called as “ J&K Khadi & Village Industries Board Act 1965” with the aim to encourage, organise, develop and regulate Khadi and Village Industries in the J&K State. Principal Act was amended by an Act No: IV of 1966 called as “ J&K Khadi & Village Industries Board ( Amendment ) Act , 1966” and further amended by an Act No: III of 1973 called as “J&K Khadi and Village Industries Board ( Amendment ) Act 1973”
The broad objectives that KVIB has set before it are:-
The social objective of providing employment.
- The economic objective of producing saleable articles.
- The wider objective of creating self-reliance amongst the poor and building up of a strong rural community spirit.
The KVIB is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programmes for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas with the support of State Government and Khadi & Village Industries Commission , Ministry of MSME,Government of India.
- To start, encourage, assist and carry on Khadi and village industries and to carry on trade or business in such industries and in the matters incidental to such trade or business.
- To help the people by providing them with work in their homes and to give loans and other form of monetary help to individuals or societies or institutions on such terms as may be prescribed;
- To encourage establishment of co-operative societies for Khadi and village industries;
- To organise training centres to train people with a view to equip them with the necessary knowledge for starting or carrying on Khadi and village industries.